Sunday, November 6, 2011

Number One and No Mistake

Yesterday evening I went over to a friend's house to watch the LSU/Alabama match up. Had a pretty nice time indeed. Old Les had a bit too conservative game plan in my opinion but the only thing that really mattered in that game was the numbers on the board at the end. LSU is the indisputable number one team at this point. Of course the "analysts" on ESPN have already crowned them the "national champions" but there is just a bit too much football left to be played to go there quite yet. One thing I do not like is the ridiculous college overtime. Either play another quarter or just call it a tie.

Now the evening was not without flaws. Mark is a huge LSU fan but there were some other games of importance in progress at the same time. I would have liked to have dropped in on the Arkansas/South Carolina, KSU/OSU, and perhaps Houston/UAB. At least two of these games may have national implications. I was sorry to see OSU skate by the Wildcats but happy to see the Hogs run past the Gamecocks. The outcome of the Cougar/Blazer game was a foregone conclusion. Anyway it is his house and his rules so we really did very little channel surfing. No big deal really.

Toward the end of the evening Mark asked me if I would like to partake in some "Native American" corn. I found that he was talking about candy corn with some chocolate in the mix. It was damn good.
It was really called Brach's Indian Corn but Mark said he was just trying to be politically correct in calling it Native American. Now funny thing about this Indian corn is that it was made in Mexico. Should it not be called Aztec corn or something? Why is it made in Mexico in the first place? Do we not have people who would be happy to be working the line at a candy plant at this point in our history? I think we do. Brach's should be ashamed of themselves. Of course they need to get in the very very long "shame" line. It is becoming sickening how these companies outsource our jobs to foreign lands and then have the audacity to try to sell us those same goods.

Oh well.

I hope Juan did not pee in the sugar mix to get back at the evil Gringo.

One has to think of these things.

2 comments:

Jayhawk said...

"One thing I do not like is the ridiculous college overtime."

I like the overtime procedure a lot and wish the NFL would adopt it. It gives each team equal opportunity in overtime, it rewards risk taking when the team goes for the touchdown rather than a field goal, and it does not require long playing time when players are tired and at greater risk of injury.

The NFL's "sudden death" nonsense gives far too much opportunity to the team which wins the toss, and it can drag out for far too long.

Bartender Cabbie said...

I have no problem with a tie being proclaimed after regulation. I would actually prefer that to another quarter of ball. I just don't care for the current overtime procedures.