Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Nuclear Energy?

It appears that the problem in Japan is unresolved. As far as I can tell, no one really seems to know what is going on. At the very least the media are probably not being advised of the "real" situation. Could be wrong. Hard to say. Of course those opposed to any type of nuclear energy are bleating about the dangers of same. As usual, many of them can be discounted as loons and fanatics. These typically are the same folk who oppose energy exploration and extraction here at home and harp on solar and wind power as the solution to all of our energy needs. They won't be happy until we are all back in the horse and buggy days and using whale oil lamps. Wait, what am I saying? Scratch the whale oil. That would never fly. The probably would complain about the dangers of horse crap also come to think of it.
Now there are some drawback to nuclear energy. It seems rather stupid to build these plants in areas known to be earthquake prone. Just seems like common sense. Also the spent fuel is huge problem that should be solved before we really invest too heavily in more nuclear energy. I certainly don't know what the solution is and neither does anyone else it seems.
I will say that I live within an hour of a major nuclear plant here in South Texas and really give the place no thought.  I am much more concerned about a major release from one of the numerous chemical plants in the area than I am about some sort of meltdown in Bay City. Chemical accidents have killed far more people than nuclear accidents (Three Mile Island killed no one).
I am a proponent of nuclear energy although I do have some reservations. I could change my tune however if the problem in Japan gets out of hand and results in a great catastrophe. That situation has yet to "play itself out."

No comments: