Saturday, February 5, 2011

Irritated By a Money Grab

There are events taking place now in the "Middle East" that are of historic significance and likely a danger to the security of the United States and our allies. I may (or may not) offer some opinion on this at a later date but right now I feel the need to air a grievance with the City of Houston. I have noticed that far to many police officers are tasked with hanging out under overpasses looking for expired inspection and registration stickers. Houston is a very large city with more than its' fair share of crime and this seems a bit like a waste of resources. Of course it is nothing more than a money grab. Don't get me wrong. I am all for traffic enforcement. I would love to spend one week as a traffic cop patrolling the freeway system. Nothing annoys me more than watching some ass weaving in and out of traffic at 90 mph. Yes if I were a traffic cop some of these folks would get a bit more than a ticket. More than a few would have their vehicle towed and then find themselves cooling their heels in the city pokey trying to arrange bail. I would make a point of being as big a prick as the law allows for those that endanger others with their driving. This is an entirely different issue than wasting valuable resources by having a cop play meter maid. Now fair is fair. If a person is pulled over for other violations and all the required inspections/registration are expired well then that should be added to the ticket.  It should be sort of an incidental add on .  I would even task the "meter maids" that check parking meters downtown the job of writing inspection/registration tickets. I would not however task a real cop, with real responsibilities, to hang out looking for this nonsense. They have enough to do. It is demeaning to them personally and nothing but organized thievery on the part of the city.

No comments: