Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Texas Hold-Em Is Not Really Poker

For the multitudes who read this humble blog you know by know that Santa brought a poker table and chips for my young one. That is what she asked for. Don't ask me why. I think it is genetic. She got it honestly. Her mother's side of the family you see is peopled by gamers. These folks don't seem to be happy unless they are engaging in some sort of game, watching games shows, doing crosswords, etc. etc. Did you know that there is a tv channel called "The Game Show Network?" I can assure you that I am aware of this. Thankfully there is more than one tv in the house. Did you know that there is more than one "poker" tournament that is broadcast for the masses? I do. Remember when these poker freaks wanted Texas Hold Em to become some sort of  Olympic game. Hello, it is a game of chance. Yes, yes I know there is some slight skill involved in card games, but all in all, it is a game of that involves mostly luck to win. Put that one in your pipe and smoke it poker guy. Now I am not a huge fan of poker but I do enjoy some video poker once in a while when I escape Texas and travel to state where one can legally gamble a bit. I do quite well also. You can sure play a poker machine for a long time on twenty bucks. Get free drinks also. Can't quite beat that. Now I learned the other day how to play this Texas Hold Em and it is indeed kind of fun and sort of interesting. Still it is not real poker.


Now as long we are on things that are not, I would like to point out that deer hunting in Texas is not really hunting. Yes I said it. Have you ever gone outside and shot the neighbors dog in his own back yard while he was at his water dish? Probably not. Have you ever gone into a field and shot dead some one's cow at the trough? I hope not, but if you have, then you probably have a good idea about deer hunting in the great state of Texas. It always amuses me when I see these guys (and gals) in their best "Taliban hunting" garb go out in the "field" for some deer hunting. Don't get me wrong. I am not anti hunting per se. I have done some deer hunting in states where you had to "still" hunt and could not stoop to such as feeding the deer.  I just don't think you can call the sport of deer hunting in Texas a real hunt. Or a sport for that matter.  Not when you can set out a feeder for them. Like I said, about as easy as shooting down the neighbor's dog or a farmer's cow.

 No sport there. Just pussy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sfo taxi cab First thing for most you have to remember San Francisco international airport is not located in the city of San Francisco. It is actually in a smaller town about 15 miles south of the bay which called peninsula because there is such a high volume of ground transportation.