Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Once in a Lifetime Experience

Saturday we went to see the Terra Cotta Warriors at the Houston Museum of Natural History. I did not schedule myself a bartending gig or lease a taxi because I wanted to stay home and watch college ball all day. Well instead I was informed that the family would be going to see the exhibit. Well so it goes, and without any bitching or further ado got in car and away we went. I knew that this was something that we should see anyway. Sunday would have been a better day as I am not all that interested in NFL ball, but the boss had spoken.
The museum was pretty crowded, as it usually is on weekends, and probably even more so since this I believe is the last weekend for the exhibit. It was a little irritating to wait, I have very little patience for crowds anymore, but it was well worth it. What our family saw was something that we will never forget I am sure. When I was a child, I went with my parents to see some King Tut artifacts in Memphis. I can remember the long lines and wait, but had sense enough to not act a fool. My third grader and her friend that went with us also seemed enthralled and did not clamor to leave, go to McDonalds, or any of those things that are typical at that age. I was happy about that. They did harrass us about buying some junk at the gift ship though, which of course we did. We probably were in the presence of these awe inspiring artifacts for about 1 hour and it was something that I will never forget. I am sure my child will remember this just as I remember seeing King Tut artifacts so may years ago. That is worth missing an afternoon of college ball. Recorded LSU/Georgia and watched the night games anyway.

No comments: