It has been said that the top teams always find themselves with at least one serious challenge on their hands and that often comes from a team that they least suspect capable. Such was the case yesterday when TCU was just plain lucky to eek out a win in Kansas. Sometimes things go horribly wrong and the "good" team finds themselves in the "L" column against lesser competition. Notre Dame and Arizona State come to mind...........
One thing certain, with only two undefeated schools and all the one loss (and possibly two loss) teams that should be in this newfangled "playoff," there are going to be deserving squads on the outside looking in. The new system is directly going to be exposed as garbage and not much (if any) improved over the defunct BCS system.
Last week the Bartendercabbie System was 5-5 mainly due to some "upsets" predicted that didn't quite pan out. Close though. Miami should have beaten the "Noles and MN did give the Buckeyes a lot to handle.
Total on the year thus far is 78-42 straight up. That being said, on to the predictions for week 13....
1. Northern Illinois vs Ohio: The Huskies have shown they are the best of the MAC this season but that doesn't mean this won't be a close one. The Bobcats are well coached and never a team to count out by anyone. You can ask some Big Ten schools about the danger the Bobcats can pose on a special day. That being said, this Tuesday night match up will end with the Huskies in the "W" column.
2. Bowling Green vs Toledo: The best of the rest in the MAC face off in a toss up. Go with the Rockets at home.
3. Kansas State vs WVU: KSU, with one conference loss, is still in the hunt in the Big Twelve. WVU is a dangerous opponent to anyone on the right day. This will be a close game between two squads who are playing (or at least can play) a bit above their talent level. I will toss the coin and go with KSU.
4. North Carolina vs Duke: Duke is having another good year and the Tar Heels were actually picked by the "experts" early to be a pretty good team. This rivalry game should be a good one and I will go with the Blue Devils. So should you.
5. UTEP vs Rice: Rice has the talent to get back on the winning track here when this West Texas bunch comes calling Friday night. Will they? We will see. I am almost tempted to put this one down as an upset of sorts but will stifle that and go with the Owls. Could be close.
6. Air Force vs SDSU: The Aztecs should have had Boise State. It was not to be. Air Force is the best of the service academies (this season) and may perhaps be one of the best in the Mountain West (of course CSU and BSU fans would have a legitimate argument otherwise). That being said I will go out on a limb and pick SDSU for the victory.
7. South Alabama vs South Carolina: Could say I was padding the stats again but the Jags are a pretty darn good Sun Belt squad. A decent Sun Belt team can be quite dangerous to a good many teams on any given day. Ask around. I will still go with Spurrier's bunch. It could get ugly. Or not.
8. BC vs FSU: BC is another dangerous opponent for the Seminoles. At some point Jimbo's squad is going to lose to one of their less than stellar (aren't they all in the ACC?) in conference opponents. BC, like Louisville and Miami before them, have a shot here. The Eagles can be dangerous (ask USC) and should be up for this one. I would still go with the Seminoles but it won't be easy. They have been living on borrowed time this season. That should continue Saturday.
9. Ole Miss vs Arkansas: This will be a good one. The bloom is off the Rebs somewhat and the Hogs have finally gotten that SEC win. This is a toss up likely. Will the Razorbacks be able to withstand the explosiveness that Ole Miss can bring (will they is another question entirely)? We will see. Go with the Rebs here in a close one.
10. Minnesota vs Nebraska: The Gophers had their chances against the Buckeyes but fell just short and Nebraska was exposed by Wisconsin (actually they were exposed early season by FCS McNeese State). Nebraska has more talent likely but MN is the all around better team. Go with MN.
Have a good week and enjoy the games.