Sunday, August 9, 2009

KC And the Sunshine Band Was Great!

Last night I had the opportunity to attend a "KC and the Sunshine Band" show in the Houston area and it was great. If you had told me that on any given Saturday night I would be in the front row (that's right the front row) watching a disco show, I would have told you that you would be more likely to find me painted blue and walking around naked at the Burning Man Festival. I am glad that I went however (to KC's show) as it was very enjoyable.
I was in the 7th or 8th grade when KC was at his peak and I am sure that he drew thousands to his shows. The venue he performed in last night held approx 3,000 people and it looked sold out. Very few empty seat in the house. KC apparently suffered from a cold or sore throat of some kind and he apologized for his somewhat raspy voice a couple of times. Nobody seemed to be disappointed in the performance however. At one point he joked about almost falling down during one of the dance routines and the crowd loved it. It was noticeable, he did trip and almost land on his ass at one point. His self effacing banter concerning his age and mobility was well received by the audience. The whole thing put the march of time in perspective somewhat.

Someone had brought their child to the concert, and KC told the young man that he and the band were the "N'SYNC" of the seventies. He also noted that perhaps N'SYNC would be performing many years from now and the young man would be in the crowd with his children. That drew a laugh of course, and it was then that I really paid attention to the members of the current "Sunshine Band." Some of these folks were not even born when the original band was at the peak of their popularity. What a cool job they have.

I began thinking more about KC on the way home. I do not know what trials and tribulations he has had in his life. I am sure that, like all of us, he has had his fair share. One thing though: Who among us can say that they have made their living doing something that they truly love? Not very many I would imagine. You have to admire that. You just have to.

No comments: