Sunday, August 16, 2009

Common Sense from the Cab

Not too long ago I was having a conversation with a couple of relatives about current events, etc. etc. and I believe they thought I have some liberal tendencies. I was not offended as I am an avowed Centrist and know that moderation can sometimes be the best course. Having mostly Centrist viewpoints does not however mean that one can not be passionate and hold even some far right or far left views. Our conversation included such issues as gay marriage, gays in the military and national defense.

I consider myself a social liberal or, more accurately, a social libertarian. The issue of gay marriage does not disturb me. I could not care less. Go for it I say. If a person finds another person to spend their life with, does it really matter if they happen to be gay? Will it affect my life any? Will it affect yours? No, of course it won't. Why not just leave well enough alone and let people live their lives.

A related issue is gays in the military. Well, as a veteran, I can tell you that the military is full of gay people. I have known some that I would trust with my life in an emergency situation. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I also let it be known that I believe that all health care in this country should be free. A public service, if you will. That would also include provisions that there would be no rationing of any kind by any overseeing entity. All health decisions would be between you and your doctor. Of course we would have to eliminate a good many federal agencies, many of which are useless or redundant anyway, and perhaps quit spending so much money overseas. After all, is it in the strategic interest of the United States to fund various projects in Africa, Central America, etc. etc?Are federal agencies such as the Bureau of Indian Affairs useful? Of course not. A waste of money. I also know that this scenario would never happen, but it is a nice dream after all.

I also know that a good deal of the "war on drugs" is a waste of time and money. In the case of Marijuana, at least, we should legalize it and the federal government collect the tax revenue. We can then waste it by sending dick rubber to Africa, fund literacy programs in Honduras or wherever, etc. etc.

Some of the above thoughts fall into the realm of "Liberalism" and a some of it is pretty Libertarian I think. That is what Centrism is about. Pick and chose the side on an issue which makes the most sense. I think all of the above makes sense, except perhaps the health care issue. That is just what I would like to see happen, but it is unrealistic.

Now we come to the flip side of Centrist thought, at least in my case.

I know that this country needs to maintain military forces that are capable of destroying the society of any enemy that is a threat to this nation and our allies.

I am for torture. Pure and simple. Get information on terrorists plans by any means necessary.
If it prevents another 9-1-1, USS Cole, Madrid or London bombing; Who cares if one terror suspects is deprived of his "rights?" Do you? If you had lost a loved one in any of these events you would not care a whit how we got this information. If we capture, interrogate and eliminate terrorist vermin, so be it. After all, those we capture are not uniformed members of any nation's armed force. They are terrorists and insurrectionists and it could be argued that they have no rights. Even the basic human ones. Sorry if that bothers you.

I know damn good and well that China is an enemy of this nation and western culture in general. I don't want to buy a damn thing from them except for maybe some incense. That has become almost impossible. We not long ago bought a BBQ grill at Lowe's and, not paying attention to the country of origin, found it to be made in China. A BBQ grill for God's sake! That is ridiculous. We should maintain awareness on the military and economic build up of Red China, attempt to keep her surrounded by potential adversaries, and maintain forces to damage her severely if necessary.

I know also that our southern border, in particular, should be secured immediately. There should a double fence manned by troops and border protection agents. Anything less might be stupid.

That is what I like about Centrism. One does not have to be tethered to any political ideology and can decide for themselves what the best course of action is.

Of course this is just my opinion, but you know what they say about opinions. Opinions are like, well you know. Mine is just prettier than most.

No comments: