Thursday, April 15, 2010

Do You Trust A Multi National Corporation?

The other night I was doing a bartending gig for a well known multi national corporation. These things are very common in the Houston area although they tend not to be all that profitable from a bartenders point of view. Hourly pay is about all that can be expected, anything above that is rare and very surprising. Other than the crappy compensation, there is something that really bothers me about some of these events. At this particular event there were quite a few people from mainland China in attendance. Now I certainly have nothing particularly against these folks personally but I must admit I do not trust them. I have a gut feeling that China is doing all it can to undermine the U.S. and is unfortunately aided in that endeavour by corporations that have their headquarters in this country. I am certainly not educated in international business but I do know something that is wrong when I see it. At least I saw no Americans (or any others for that matter) bowing and scraping to these representatives of Red China. I once was a bartender at a gig at the Toyota Center where American citizens were bowing to our Chinese guests. I suppose they were just being polite culturally speaking, but it is traditional that we in this country bow to know one. I certainly did not. Glad I was not fired. I'm not sure if our current president has gotten the memo on the whole bowing thing however.

Do those in the multinationals not understand that doing business with enemies and potential enemies (not sure which category China falls under) is damaging to this nation? I guess not. Why should they care? They take their cue from the U.S. government. Hell there are more Soviets (Russians) at the Johnson Space Center than there are in the NHL. Our multinationals and indeed those in our government just do not get it.

The world is a dangerous place and there will always be enemies. Why aid them?
We will pay for it one day. In spades!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toyota is Japanese, not Chinese...

Bartender Cabbie said...

Of course but the Toyota Center is the basketball venue in Houston where the event mentioned took place.