Monday, January 18, 2010

Golden Goobs

I watched the Golden Globe awards last night and frankly enjoyed the show. I have a love of movies and a respect for the talent it takes to make good film. It is really a kind of love/hate relationship with Hollywood. For some reason, actors, producers, etc. tend to have a sense of importance that drives many of them to spout their political beliefs and agendas and that of course is their right. It is also quite annoying. George Clooney's political agenda holds no more interest to me than the political beliefs of the local grocer. That's all I have to say about that.

The somewhat controversial film Avatar won best picture and that is kind of interesting in a "who gives a damn" sort of way. There are those that say that the film is a very long political statement which supposedly paints those of us of European descent in a bad light. I do not know about that as I have not seen the film and can not really comment. It is supposed to be quite colorful which I would find interesting. Whether or not it is really some leftist political propaganda - I would not know. However, when accepting the award, director James Cameron, did make some statements that were vaguely political. Now I don't like Cameron. I find him to be a pompous ass and quite full of himself. Also, there is a film coming out that is called "Avatar: The Last Air Bender which is based on a cartoon series. Cameron and company beat the "real" Avatar film to the punch and in my opinion appropriated the name. When I say appropriated, I mean it in a "Mr. Krabs "borrowed" the pickle barrel" sort of way. I am a big fan of Sponge Bob and those of you that are also would understand that reference I am sure. On thing Cameron said that I have to agree on however is that making movies is one of the best jobs in the world. I believe that to be true. Beats sitting is some office I would imagine.

No comments: