Monday, January 25, 2010

American Idol, New Orleans Saints and Kay Bailey Hutchinson

There are a few things on the television that I have found rather interesting in the last week or so. Last night the New Orleans Saints won the NFC Championship which was great. I came to the conclusion that in order for the Saints to beat Peyton and the boys they will have to fall on fumbles when they are on the ground instead of trying to pick up and run. The Saints should have recovered at least two Viking fumbles but instead of falling on the ball, they tried to pick and run and then of course gave the ball back. I also noticed that Favre of the Vikings is one tough hombre. The Saints did their best to knock him out of the game and he hung in. Most QB's would have not made it through that pounding that Favre took. No way! I also noticed that during the post game festivities the "master of ceremonies" kept calling Saints honorary captain Deuce McAllister "Douche." I thought at first my ears deceived me, but he did it twice. That was pretty funny. All in all the game was a fun experience. Who Dat. Go Saints.

I watched American Idol the other night which is something that I frequently criticize others for doing. So be it. I noted that the last guy that sang was some kind of good. This is the guy (I am too lazy to bother looking up his name) that spent a good portion of his youth in the can for robbing a bank at the age of 15 with a bb gun. I think he might have what it takes to be the "next American Idol." I also noted a couple of sisters from NJ who really could not sing all that well telling the judges something to the effect of "we belong in Hollywood." I don't know about that but they certainly look like they belong in Chatsworth. If American Idol does not work out for them (and it won't) I would be willing to bet that someone in Chatsworth would be willing to "make them a star." I am sorry to say that I would probably pay to see that.

Kay Bailey Hutchinson is running for Governor of Texas for some reason or other. She really does not stand a chance, but what the hey. Her major opponent in the primary is incumbent Rick Perry. Now Perry is just a bit too blow dried for me. He reminds me a bit of a Republican John Edwards. I don't know why, he just does. Just don't trust a grown man with a kiss me quick haircut. At any rate Hutchinson has a campaign ad out that is really very disturbing and actually offers quite a bit of insight into the PC state of governance.
The ad in question touts Hutchinson's achievement in getting more border patrol agents on the Mexican border. I do not know if this is true or not so will reserve comment on this.
The second point in the ad is that as Governor she will require that all state agencies check immigration status on prospective state employees before hiring. Is this not already being done?If not, that is crazy.
The third, and most damning point is that Hutchinson will make sure that all illegal immigrants that "commit crimes" will be deported. Silly me, I thought that holding illegal status was already a crime. Why are those who are in violation of immigration laws not already deported when detected?
Kay Bailey Hutchinson for Governor of Texas? Let us hope not. Of course Rick Perry is nothing special either. Bill White, the Democrat, has actually been a pretty decent Mayor for Houston, but he is, truth be told, far too Un American on the immigration issue to be of any real use to the citizens of Texas. It is a conundrum as they say.

2 comments:

John Mellem said...

I saw that "idol". The guy was a country singer wasn't he? The one sister, Simon didn't like that much or she picked a song that wasn't easy but she passed anyway. I see in your profile you like Jethro Tull and Uriah Heap. They were around in my day and we listed to them a lot. I still remember "Stealin" when I shoulda been buyin, wasn't it? Keep up the good work!

Bartender Cabbie said...

I believe he was the country singer but the song he chose to audition for was more of a bluesy type. You are correct on the female singers; Simon did not like one but they both went anyway. Probably they wont last too long. I do like rock and roll from way back. A few years ago I saw Jethro Tull for the third time. Ian Anderson was still sounding good. I am glad to see you posting again! Hopefully things are going well for you and yours.