Monday, January 4, 2010

A Few Things Wrong With The Game

I love college football and have for many years and I believe there are some changes that are long overdue. The game, at the Division I level (I refuse to call it FBS), has become little more than a farm system for the NFL (and other pro leagues) in which the players receive no compensation. I am not for any paid compensation for college players, but let us call it what it is -big business which utilizes unpaid semi professional players. Think it is not big business? Consider this - If a coach for a major college team does not consistently win, he is out of a job. No ifs, ands, or buts. Look at Bobby Bowden. He was forced out (of course he was) of his job at FSU after building that program. A man of his stature should have had the luxury of staying until he felt the need to retire, even if that meant mediocre seasons for FSU until he retired. The same can be said for Paterno at Penn State. I have been a Florida State fan for years, mainly due to Bowden. I will miss him leading the Noles and will also miss defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews (I used to work with his son) prowling the sidelines with him. Andrews just looked like he had anger management issues and that was kinda cool. Needless to say I am an FSU fan no more and wish them no success in the future. The point is that the need to "win at all cost" in major college ball shows that the game has become more akin to the NFL than to the game for "student athletes" it is supposed to be.

A couple of things I would change on the field is the ridiculous college overtime. If the teams are tied at the end of regulation, and an overtime must be played, why not just play another quarter. Frankly I would just as soon see the end of the game be the end of the game even if that means a tie.
I also think that the ground can cause a fumble. This waiting around for officials to determine if the ground caused the fumble is stupid. If a player fumbles the ball, he fumbles the ball. I don't care if a bird caused it.

I won't go into the BCS system much here, other than to say that it is somewhat of a scam. Tonight's Fiesta Bowl is a good case in point. Boise State and TCU square off in what may be a very good game. Here is the rub. Neither of them is in a BCS Conference and therefore a game between them proves very little. It is probable that the BCS leadership don't want another embarrassment which shows their system to be a sham. That being said, I do not believe the government has any business getting involved in changing the system.They might have better things to do. Hopefully the BCS will just die on its own before too long.

I also have issue with Allstate Insurance being so heavily involved in the college game. They certainly have the right to sponsor college ball, but it just seems a little odd. They appear to have ample money for sponsorship, but let me ask you a question. Have you ever dealt with these folks? Have you ever tried to get them to pay a fair and equitable claim? I have and can tell you from experience you will know you are in good hands. You may feel them sliding up your backside. I feel comfortable saying this as I have felt myself victimized by them. They are happy to take your money but it is my experience (and many others) that you are dealing with perhaps an unethical organization. Perhaps the NCAA should be a little more discriminating on who they let sponsor the sport. I am silly for thinking that I know.

One other thing; There are far to many bowl games. A game between two 6-6 teams is just not interesting. A .500 record should not qualify a team for post season play.

Just a few thoughts on the game.

No comments: