The college football season is underway. There are a lot of other things one hell of a lot more important going on right now but..........why worry about that right about now. On to the predictions for the first week of the 2013 season.
1. NC vs SC: South Carolina may (or may not) be right there in the hunt for the SEC crown and a big time bowl. They are having no problem with North Carolina in the 1st quarter and will win by three touchdowns. Go with the Gamecocks here.
2. Utah State vs Utah: The Aggies were a solid bunch last season and of course the coach went on to "greener pastures." It will be interesting to see if Utah State can continue to have success in their new conference. The Utes on the other hand have been a disappointment since moving to the "big time" of the PAC 12. I will go with the Aggies here in perhaps a close one.
3. Western Carolina vs Middle TN State: Go with the Blue Raiders of MTSU.
4. USC vs Hawaii: This will likely be Lane's last year as coach of the mighty Trojans. His squad will fall shy of the top 25 again but their spiral won't begin this week. Go with USC.
5. Sacramento State vs San Jose State: The Spartans had a surprisingly good season last year and of course the HC moved on. SCSU is a pretty good IAA (err FCS) club. It might be close but I will go with the Spartans.
6. TTU vs SMU: The Mustangs may be on the right track with Jones' rebuild (supposedly) of the program. TTU is in disarray after the disaster that was Tuberville. Both of the squads are a bit of a mystery and the game may be a toss up. I would go with SMU in a minor upset.
7. Southern vs Houston: Houston has certainly fallen off since Case moved to the NFL and Sumlin moved on to Aggie land. Still this should be a no brainer. Go with the Coogs.
8. North Dakota State vs Kansas State: This will be a good one. ND State (FCS)would certainly be able to compete with the lower tier of the top 25 and KSU is probably (again) under rated. I would go with the Wildcats in a good close game.
9. TAMU vs Rice: Rice came on strong the second half of last season and finished with a winning record (thus saving Bailiff and co.). That annoying "Johnny Football" is supposedly suspended for at least part of the opener with the Owls. I would still go with the Aggies here but wouldn't it be fun if......?
10. Louisiana vs Arkansas: We will see how the Hogs fare after the disaster of the last couple of years. How one can come back from Petrino is beyond me. John L. Smith had some problems of his own and was not the man to right the ship. We will see........The Cajuns are a good team and they may well "upset" the Razorbacks. I will go out on a limb and pick the team from Louisiana here.
Don't know about you but I for one am glad for the distraction that is college football...