Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Resisting the Lure of the Cab

As I noted in an earlier post I have given up the Taxi business in the Houston area. My license is now expired and barring a complete personal financial meltdown, I have no intention of renewing it.  I must admit however that I have been feeling the "lure of the cab" this week. This week, barring Thanksgiving Day itself, is one of the most profitable weeks in the biz. People are traveling, kids are at the clubs, and folks are starting to shop for Xmas. There are people to meet, money to make, and adventures to have and I am missing out. Been "Jonesing" a bit for the cab this week as some old dopers like to say. It is like quitting smoking I suppose. Stay away from it and eventually the urge will  subside. I don't think it will ever totally go away though. Funny how things can get in your blood.  I must stay strong. By God!

4 comments:

Jayhawk said...

Yeah, sure. I spent six years at the wheel of big rigs hauling steel, often grossing 100,000# plus. I was visiting with a friend one time and said that sometimes I miss that and he called bullshit on me. Reminded me of what it was like to look in my mirror and see nothing but the side of my trailer coming into the cab. He was right; I don't miss it.

Bartender Cabbie said...

100,000 plus is pretty darn good. Having a trailer "sneak up on you" is enough to make one reconsider that business no matter the money. Funny. Hindsight can be deceiving. I fondly remember my service days now, but there were times when I was a member I would have gladly traded it for a career behind the grill at McDonalds.

in the vanguard said...

You really want to get it out of your system - then visit New York and watch your counterparts!

Bartender Cabbie said...

actually know a guy who did it in the Big Apple for a while. He has some stories to tell.