Friday, November 26, 2010

And So It Begins

I just got back from a little birthday shopping on "Black Friday." Nope, have not begun to Xmas shop yet. That expenditure will have to wait a couple of weeks. I sometimes get sick of  holidays. That is the tightwad in me. At any rate, I stopped by one of the umpteen local coffee shops that are based out of Seattle to get my morning going. I found out a couple of interesting things. They have a coffee out now that is called "Christmas Blend" and also one that is named "Holiday Blend." I suspected that they are the same thing of course. I remember drinking some (Xmas) last year finding it a pretty tasty beverage. That is beside the point however. I asked the person behind the counter what is the difference between the two. She said (of course) there was no difference. Just as I thought. One is apparently for those who are not Christians or perhaps just find the whole Xmas thing nonsense. I wondered if I should get a bit annoyed at this but decided to just file it away. You see in this country we, like it or not, are  predominantly Christian. It is a part of our history. Does that bother you? Facts can be a bit bothersome at times I know. There is of course no problem with those that practice any other faith, but do we really need to tailor our marketing to the minority? Is this not an example of PC run amuck? I can't wait for someone to come out (again) with a "holiday tree." Now that really pisses me off. Have a good Christmas no matter what your choice of faith. Oh almost forgot; they have a product out also that they call "Winter Blend." It apparently is not the same as the above two. The person told me it was a bit more "bold" without the spice aftertaste. May have to try that one.

4 comments:

Jayhawk said...

I find the Christmas/Holiday Blend to be a bit anemic for my taste. Gold Coast is okay, as is Sumatra. I prefer Major Dickason's Blend from Peets to anything the Seattle outfit has to offer.

Bartender Cabbie said...

I will have to look for Major Dickason's blend. I have heard of Peets (I think) but have never tried it. I drink a little bit of Henry's Blend from Seattle Best and find it pretty good. It can be a bit weak unless you put a bit more in than is called for. I like Community Dark roast. Sometimes "gas station" coffee is as good or better than any.

Siarlys Jenkins said...

I really don't think it is "PC" for a business to try to cater to the tastes of as many potential customers as possible. Some Christians won't buy the "Holiday" blend, because they insist on "Just Say Merry Christmas." Some non-Christians won't buy the Christmas blend. Perhaps they should just stick to selling coffee, but if they sell more coffee by having these to special seasonal labels, that's business.

Bartender Cabbie said...

No Siarlys the Starbucks thing may not properly be defined as PC because, after all, business is business but I do think it may be a symptom of a greater illness that is infecting American society. Perhaps I am not putting it properly but I get the feeling that all this "inclusiveness" is actually having a polarizing effect and "big" business is just tagging along for the ride. Americans are Americans. We communicate (or learn to) communicate in English; most people define themselves as Christian (but we tolerate and indeed celebrate regilious freedom); and we are I guess best defined as a community of outcasts and mongrels and proud to be so. If I see someone who considers themself a "fill in the blank" American instead of just an American I believe that person to have conflicted loyalty. Just a thought and I probably have not stated my case as I want. Having trouble finding the correct words I guess. To damn early in the morning.